Feb 24, 2008

Internet Matrimonials

The newspaper ads quickly evolved to become cash cows for the world wide web, you hardly see newspapers doing this now. There were and are literally hundreds of matrimonial websites out there that promise matches made in bytes. And of course this isn't limited to the Sikh community and matrimony, this is literally big business for our western counterparts in terms of dating sites too.


However, again we (desi's) somehow manage to recreate the lack of class from black and white newspapers ads over to multimedia screens. These sites like Sikhnet and Shaadi didn't really improve the newspaper experience, in someways they made it worse because now I have a face to go with my "handsome" Sikh man. One good point of these Internet sites would be that at least now it's no longer called an advertisement, at least now you create a profile and put some words and photographs behind the paper worth you advertised previously in 50 words or less.


After considerable pressure I was pushed into creating a profile for myself. It was probably one of the hardest things I've done since writing my masters dissertation. Of course everyone says, its so hard to sum up who you are in a few paragraphs, but at at least most people have a clue. I really felt clueless at this point in my life (a few years ago). And, so started the next chapter in my excruciating painful expedition to Mt. The One. The cycle of browsing, accepting and declining profiles begins.


I've done some person therapy and have come to realize the reason why I've been on Sikhnet for years, on and off is because of guys like this (picture) actually I'm not going to post his picture that's just mean but I'll try and describe it- can you picture this......

A thirty something guy wearing a loud floral shirt, fully exposing a follically endowed chest underneath which you can just barely see a gleaming gold medallion style chain, moving upwards you see a nice enough smile overshadowed by a 12 o'clock shadow and then you come to the eyes, oh but you can't see the eyes because they are hidden beneath Miami Vice like reflective sunglasses.

Thankfully, I've not had the personal pleasure of conversing with Mr. Suave I just had the pleasure of declining his correspondence. But can you blame me! And I understand bad pictures believe me I think I have two good ones and they are from when I was in nappies. Anyway I'm very sad to say that I've only ever met a half dozen decent guys on the Internet in all my surfing, and I'll explain what happened with them next time.

3 comments:

Pukhraj Singh said...

Give up on societal obligations and marriage. Be a maverick, be a contrarian. Stay single, stay safe. :)

ExpressJodi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ExpressJodi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.