Jan 22, 2008

Sikh N Single

So, I know I'm not alone in discovering that being a single Sikh female in search of a "suitable" match is a complete nightmare. I thought I'd start writing about my experiences and share my ordeals to date and my potential successes in the future.

Having been bought up in the west the traditional Punjabi way, my sister's and I were never "allowed" to date and personally I didn't mind so much when I was younger. But, now that I am an independent woman I wish I had paid more attention to the way my friends found their "life" partners. I'm a good many years old and have never had a serious relationship, not even with a potential boyfriend never mind a life partner. I guess you could call me a late bloomer or a career oriented woman with only one mindset - being professionally independent and successful, but marriage didn't become an "issue" for me until about three years ago.

It was always marriage for me, I didn't accept dates from men I knew I could never marry or potentially marry. I have never been asked out on a date by a single Sikh man and I have never really fancied a Sikh man enough to ask him out. What's wrong with me ?? I'm attractive and intelligent, I can hold a pretty good conversation with a like minded person, I don't flirt very well and am a little shy when I first meet new people, but I'm working on that. So what am I doing wrong? I'm waiting for my prince charming, yes you've heard it all before. I'm waiting to be swept off my feet, romantically wooed, intellectually stimulated and chemically compatible. Is that so bad? My parents would say YES. They argue that I'm at the age where I need to settle down and I argue that I won't settle on a potential match just for the sake of it. So, for the sake of my sanity I've decided to change the way I have been searching for potential suitors and I will chronicle the experiences here.

No comments: