Jan 31, 2008

The Arranged Introductions

Read the previous two blogs first for the thread to make sense :-)

What followed the typical arranged marriage scenario is that we have progressed to arranged introductions by families/friends, which is still quite prevalent in the communities these days. I personally have been through a couple of these torturous ordeals over the last few years, let me set the scene.

My dad: Uncle so and so, told me about this boy who is from a very good family, is educated and they (his parents) are looking for a girl.
Me: (Unenthusiastically) Yeah.
My dad: I invited them for tea next weekend.
Me: WHAT - but dad I don't know the first thing about him.
My dad: Yes putt (dear) that's why I invited them so you can get to know one another.
Me: Oh My God dad
My dad: Don't OMG me, you are getting older and I have to think of your younger sisters too.
(Major guilt trip)
Me: Fine
My dad: Fine - make sure you wear something nice, and maybe you should go to the gym this week.
Me: (Outraged) What do you mean !! (In my head - Like one week at the gym is going to make a difference, I really should start exercising more)
My dad: You know you've put on a few extra pounds, it wouldn't hurt for you to look your best.
Me: (Mouth gaping, stomping out of the room)

The weekend of the dreaded event rolls around and the entire family, and I mean entire family is busy "getting ready" for our most honorable guests. Cleaning, cooking and prepping. They arrive - the whole tribe (and I mean whole tribe mum, dad, grandparents, siblings, spouses of siblings, kids and the man in question), and I am pushed to the back of our tribe so I'm last to say hello to everyone. I glimpse him, he catches my eye and I just smile thinking - there's no bloody way!! My siblings have the same feelings and as soon as we desert our guests to go and prepare tea in the kitchen they can't help but laugh until tears are rolling down their faces..... so mean !!

Anyway, things with the parents progress nicely, they sit and talk about the old days, and back home and all the people they know, hoping to find more mutual acquaintances. What they do for a living, what their son does, all the while the son just sits there smiling. Tea is served and then my dad makes the dreaded announcement:

My dad: Why don't you two youngsters go and talk amongst yourselves and get to know more of one another.
Me: (Turning bright red) smile.
My dad: (With eyes gestures to my other siblings) Let them go into the living room you should join us here
Me: (Completely deserted.... walk slowly into the living room wishing the couch would just swallow me up)

So a little context about myself - I'm not a vain person or overly obsessed with looks. But, when I sat with Mr. Potential life partner, there were no sparks setting the couch on fire or anything. The conversation was boring and routine and I had no desire to get to know him better. So arranged introductions are better then arranged marriages but usually the people doing the arranging don't have a clue about you. The best part about these introductions is after they've left and your entire family says "So, what do you think?" "Is it a yes".

They're absolutely stark raving mad, if they think you can judge a persons character in a quick 10 minute conversation. As you can tell I'm not a huge fan of meeting a potential this way, it hasn't happened too often thank goodness but when it does it always leaves me feeling so completely lame.

8 comments:

-Not Applicable- said...

Hey - I 'm hooked! wassup with a follow-up? ;)

I wanna know what other events in the wookin pa nub scenario have occurred!

Raj.Blog said...

I was just up late "googling" and your blog came up... I can relate to your situation. It's so incredibly funny at the same time sad that WE have to deal with that stuff.

I never posted a comment on someone’s blog-- but I just got ambushed tonight.

I'll start by telling you a little about myself to give context to my situation. I have dated a bit. All my family, uncles, aunties, cuzs, know this. Just nothing serous for a while.

But tonight was the night...

Tonight is Xmas dinner at my cuzs house. Just a nice friendly dinner, basketball and Halo with the kids. Normal stuff.

AND THAN the reminder that in a few days I'll be turning 27 and I'm not married yet.

AND THAN the picture of a really cute Indian girl was show to me. Even my mom laughed at how unlikely it was for me to even consider an arranged marriage. So after a few laugh at my expense from all, I thought this matter would be dropped.

AND THAN my uncle calls India and was talking to some of his friends in a the bed were me and the kids were playing Halo. I thought that was kinda weird-calling Indian in a noisy room. Hmmm You know what's coming next--regret! That's what. I remembered I made some off hand comment that I could never marry a girl without even talking to her. I just never that it would be during a game of Halo.

AND THAN I'm on the phone with some girl from Indian playing Halo-After a couple of sec my uncle told me to talk to.

AND THAN I talked to this girl, thinking in the back of head, all she wants is a VISA. (Which is incredibly mean, I know it's not always true.) I talked to her for five mins max, she seemed really nice. She's in med school--More regret! I remembered the other off hand comment i always make to anyone that try presenting a girl to me. I told my uncle that i would marry a doc if she was my age. (I really have to learn to shut up and not tease my elders.)

AND THAN my uncle show me her picSss again (I did mention she really cute right? Which me pointed out again and again as I looked at her pics. He told me she already saw my pics weeks ago when he was in Indian and was told all but me. He reminded me that I wanted a doc and ask if I would be willing to go to Indian to meet her. I declined.

Apart of me won't even consider an arranged marriage. And a part of me saw that pic and went wow; she's really hot.

That's my Xmas night.

Raj

Raj.Blog said...

I'm don't know you (the creator of this website), but would like to learn more about you. Do you have a profile? (I know it's really weird, but so is creating this site! :p )

I could give you my email; I'm not sure how to forward that to you.

Raj

kd singh said...

Sat sri akal

I just read your blog . Its an interesting blog to read.

Mr Singh said...

On one hand I say that dont go with a match if you dont get that feeling that you.

On the other hand, I doubt whether our generation is making it more complex than this marriage thing needs to be.

Anycase, I would like to contact you. can you tell me how?

Raj.Blog said...

Hi, just so there’s is no confusion-You know ‘m a guy right? :) Anyways, here’s my email address Raj123180@hotmail.com. (I’m haven’t been no very much lately.)

Raj

Mr Singh said...

the comment was meant for the blogger (the girl). Sorry abt the confusion.

Anonymous said...

being a sikh girl is very hard..especially when the topic of arranged marriages come up. for example i have been seeing someone that i like..but parents want me to have an arranged marriage..they introduce me to all these guys some are weired and some are really nice..but im stuck on this guy and i want things to move forward..its so complicated..cuz im stuck in the middle not wanted to leave this guy that im interested in bbut at the same time dont want to hurt my parents..